Tuesday, November 27, 2012

grammar policing

I do not enjoy judgement. It is not a favorite pastime nor a spare-time hobby.  I find those who have nothing better to do but judge others to be typically desperate, inherently unhappy individuals. Having said that, I will now proceed to put on my hypocrite hat. If there is one act in this world that I simply cannot bear to abide, it is the widespread use of poor grammar. This repugnant act is unacceptable across the board in every situation, however when it is performed in a professional setting, the act morphs from unacceptable to abominable.

Throughout my professional career, I, like many in the business world, have worked with quite a breadth of individuals. These have ranged from now SVP-level grown-up fraternity brothers to (in the most respectful manner) the booksmart yet totally world un-savvy to, at the other end of the spectrum, eloquent well-spoken consummate professionals. And across this vast range of people, I have been witness to the highest of despicable grammar affronts. "Its a company we all respect and in light of economic downsizing, we should all except the recent changes", wrote one particular CEO. "Rest assured, the client budget cuts will not effect you're salary's." I really do want to take these attempted important-subject matter-emails seriously...I just simply cannot.

From my perspective, any individual who endeavors to enter the gates of corporate America should have the wherewithal to speak and write in grammatically proper English. This goes from assistant level all the way up. Something is terribly wrong in the world when he/she who deigns to climb the corporate ladder to C level cannot distinguish between noun and verb, possessive form versus contraction. I doubt that these people would appreciate being called SEO rather than CEO, Ess Vee Pee instead of SVP. May I now dare to say, those who cannot spell nor publicly speak properly should rest comfortably on the cushioned bottom step of the corporate ladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment