Friday, February 14, 2014

Philip Seymour Hoffman

While it may seem delayed, I could not immediately bring myself to write one more word about the late, wonderful Philip Seymour Hoffman. As it was and still is, there is way too much attention being paid to trivial matters that took place in his life... and in typical Hollywood fashion, posthumously. But a couple of weeks later now and a couple recent viewings of two of my all time favorite of his films, I did want to take a moment to pay respects to one of the most talented actors I have ever seen grace the screen & stage.

Unlike others, I say this now not as a posthumous discovery of a raw talent but as someone who enjoyed and appreciated PSH for his brilliance while he was still living. In writing the list of some of my favorite films the other day, the realization that Philip Seymour Hoffman was in a majority of them slapped me in the face. My clear #1 favorite The Talented Mr. Ripley, Boogie Nights, Doubt, Capote, Synecdoche... among countless others. The slap was harsh. The thought of going to see a movie, never again having the thrill of an upcoming PSH film release, is a morose one. It is a void that has already made its way into my life and undoubtedly into the lives of so many others.

I do not wish to add to the media's insistence on capitalizing on this man's death to write about addiction in broad terms. Whatever the cause of his death, heroin, alcohol or otherwise, the fact of the matter is that he died. Addiction is a bad thing - it has always been and always will be. Ain't nothing pretty about addiction. But a brilliant, much-too-young talent is no longer here and that, my friends, is all that sadly matters.

So, in summary, Philip Seymour Hoffman, thank you for gracing the public with your superb skills, your ability to portray all the characters you played with grace, truth and passion, and for being here for the time you were. You made this movie loving girl's life more enriched with your presence.

Rest in Peace.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment